Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is a combination of the "Banana-Nut Waffles (Gluten-Free and Vegan" and "Gluten Free Waffles" recipes (from this site) with some small modifications of my own. Our family is both gluten and sugar free for a number of different reasons. My thanks to all chefs that help make eating fun with dietary restrictions. The kids loved these as it brought back many happy memories of eating waffles on a Sat. morning.
- 2 apples (pealed and diced)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (extra light)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons xylitol sugar substitute
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose works well)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Heat waffle iron.
- Peal and dice apples.
- Combine milk and diced apples in the blender (or food processor) and blend until smooth.
- Separate eggs.
- Put egg yolks, oil and vanilla in the blender and mix briefly.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and set aside.
- Combine flour, xylitol, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum in a mixing bowl.
- Add ingredients from the blender and stir to combine all ingredients. Don't over stir, a few lumps are ok.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Use around 3/4 cup of batter per waffle (at least that works best for our round Belgium waffle maker).
- For sugar-free syrup we use 1 part xylitol combined with 2 parts water. Heat together on the stove and add maple flavoring to taste.