Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Naomi at the Better Batter Gluten-Free Flour website. Haven't tried this recipe yet, I'm waiting to get the flour in the mail. The instructions have been edited only for clarity from the originally posted recipe and at the moment prep time is an estimate and does not include refrigeration time.
- 473.18 ml gluten-free flour (Better Batter brand or suitable substitute)
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 29.58 ml milk
- 2.46 ml pure vanilla extract
- 1.23 ml almond extract
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- With mixer running, add egg, milk, vanilla, and almond extract; mix until incorporated.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface. Divide in half and shape into 2 discs. Cover each with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes, and transfer to prepared baking sheets, leaving an inch in between.
- Leftover dough can be rolled and cut once more.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 10 minutes; do not allow to brown.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
These cookies are really good! I make sugar cookies to decorate at Easter for the whole family, and one member is gluten-intolerant. She really enjoyed having her own cookies to decorate, too. There is debate among non-GF family members over taste, but I think they taste just like non-GF sugar cookies. I made them exactly as directed, but they were far too sticky to roll out and cut, even after several hours of refrigeration. We wound up just rolling them into balls. They spread out as they baked and we wound up with nice round cookies to decorate. These would make great cookies for ice cream sandwiches, too. Great recipe!