1/1 Photo of Gluten-Free Strawberry-Pear Cobbler
What's Cooking?'s Note:
I really enjoyed the distinctive taste of pear peeking through the tart sweetness of strawberries. I recommend using Spectrum's palm oil based shortening, as it's non-hydrogenated and has none of those much-maligned trans fats. Serve this cobbler alone or with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. I can't guarantee that this will work with other gluten-free flours, so stick to Pamela's Ultimate Baking and Pancake Mix if you can find it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups Pamelas ultimate baking and pancake mix (gluten-free)
- 3/4 cup butter or 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup milk or 1/3 cup buttermilk or 1/3 cup non-dairy milk substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 pints strawberries, cut lengthwise in thirds
- 2 ripe bartlett pears, in 3/4 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or 1/4 cup sucanat
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F In a medium bowl mix the sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg. Add berries and pears, and mix thoroughly until fruit is coated with the dry ingredients. Pour fruit mixture into greased 8x8" baking dish.
- 2In a large bowl, mix baking mix and salt. Cut shortening or butter into the baking mix, using your hands to mix until no large lumps appear. Add milk or milk substitute, and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon (the mixture will not be completely smooth).
- 3Spoon batter over the top of the fruit, spreading over the whole dish. It will be thick, so use your hands to distribute it evenly. Leave a few small uncovered areas so that some of the liquid from the fruit can evaporate during the baking process. (Optional: Put a few pats of butter on the top of the cobbler before putting in the oven.) Shake a bit of cinnamon evenly over the top of the dough.
- 4Bake for 30 minutes or until knife inserted in biscuit topping comes out clean and the top has browned. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten-Free Strawberry-Pear Cobbler
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 246.7
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 47.1 mg
- Sodium 277.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 1.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Pamelas ultimate baking and pancake mix