Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
For those that can't eat wheat, this is a nice alternative.
Make and share this Gluten Free Steamed Apricot Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 2⁄3 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup amaranth flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup almonds
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄3 cup molasses or 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, rice flour, amaranth flour and baking soda.
- Grind the almonds to a fine powder in a blender.
- Gradually add enough water to bring the level up to 1 cup.
- With the machine running, add the molasses or honey and almond extract.
- Add the apricots and process with a few on/off turns to chop them; do not puree.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour bowl.
- Stir to mix.
- Turn out into an oiled 1 qt.
- mold or 1 lb can.
- Cover with a square of wax paper or foil (shiny side down); tie wax paper securely with a piece of string.
- Place the mold on a wire rack in a Dutch oven or large stockpot.
- Add enough boiling water to the pot to come halfway up the sides of the mold.
- Cover the pot tightly, and steam the bread over.
- med-low heat for 2 hours.
- Do not remove the cover during the cooking time.
- Remove the mold from the pot.
- Cool the bread in the mold for 15 min, then.
- turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For best results, slice with a serrated knife.
This is NOT a gluten-free recipe. Wheat-free and gluten-free are not the same thing. People with gluten intolerance can't eat oats, barley, or rye either; it isn't just about wheat.