Gluten Free soft pretzel
Make and share this Gluten Free Soft Pretzel recipe from Food.com.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/8 cup warm water. Stir in remaining warm water, brown sugar and flour. Bear until smooth. Knead until smooth and elastic.
- use hands to roll out dough into "snakes". Twist into traditional pretzel shape or braid.
- Heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Fill a saucepan with water. Pour in baking soda (2tbls to each cup of water in saucepan) and bring to a boil.
- Place twisted pretzel dough in water for 15 seconds until dough is golden or yellow in color. Then remove pretzel from boiling water and place on a salted cookie sheet. Salt top of pretzel too.
- Place cookie sheet with pretzels in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until pretzels are golden brown.
This recipe was perfect! And super simple to make. I have to eat vegan and gluten free (among other things) and these tasted so good! I used a gluten free flour mix of millet, sorghum, tapioca flour, and potato starch. Then added 1 T xanthan gum. The dough wanted to break a little when twisting them into the pretzel shape, but went back together very easily. Thanks!
Mmm! I applied an egg wash after taking the pretzels out of the soda water. I was having trouble shaping the dough, I think because I was not using a premixed GF baking flour. No problem, though. I just rolled them into balls and slightly flattened them like hamburger patties. They don't look much like pretzels, but they are delicious. Oh, and I let the dough rise for an hour before shaping and baking. Don't know if that made a difference or not.
These were great, after one major change: I used 1 T baking soda in a sauce pan filled with 1" of water. Using 2 T soda per cup of water made the pretzels inedible. I also used 2 T more water in the recipe, as I felt the dough needed to be a bit less dry, and used 4 t xanthan gum for the 5 cups of flour mix. I'm so glad I found this recipe. It worked well in my new pretzel maker. Thanks for sharing!