Recipe by brendarv2001
Gluten Free soft pretzel
Top Review by Nonies Nook
This recipe was perfect! And super simple to make. I have to eat vegan and gluten free (among other things) and these tasted so good! I used a gluten free flour mix of millet, sorghum, tapioca flour, and potato starch. Then added 1 T xanthan gum. The dough wanted to break a little when twisting them into the pretzel shape, but went back together very easily. Thanks!
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄8 cup warm water (105 degrees)
- 1 1⁄3 cups warm water
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 5 cups gluten-free flour, mix (with gum already added)
- 2 -4 tablespoons baking soda (2 tablespoons to each cup of water in sauce pan)
- coarse salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/8 cup warm water. Stir in remaining warm water, brown sugar and flour. Bear until smooth. Knead until smooth and elastic.
- use hands to roll out dough into "snakes". Twist into traditional pretzel shape or braid.
- Heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Fill a saucepan with water. Pour in baking soda (2tbls to each cup of water in saucepan) and bring to a boil.
- Place twisted pretzel dough in water for 15 seconds until dough is golden or yellow in color. Then remove pretzel from boiling water and place on a salted cookie sheet. Salt top of pretzel too.
- Place cookie sheet with pretzels in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until pretzels are golden brown.