Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an adaptation of an old family recipe. It is not Christmas without these cookies.
Make and share this Gluten-Free Soft Molasses Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups chestnut flour
- 1⁄2 cup arrowroot
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sorghum flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Cream butter with brown sugar until smooth.
- Stir in egg and salt.
- Add molasses and buttermilk, stir.
- Sift together flours, baking soda, and spices. I strongly recommend sifting because chestnut flour can be a little lumpy. Note: the ratios of the four flours I used can be adjusted to your taste. Brown rice and sorghum flours are whole-grainy and do make the cookies a little less soft, while chestnut flour has a strong taste of its own. Play with the ratios to change the texture.
- Add about 3 cups of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix in (you can use an electric mixer) until smooth.
- Add the remaining flour, the dough should be stiff enough that you'll probably have to stir this in by hand.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Roll dough out on a floured board to about 1/4" thickness.
- Cut circles or shapes. This dough makes good gingerbread men.
- Bake 15 minutes at 375.
- Cool. Frost with a soft cream cheese frosting if desired.