Recipe by techilady
Baked in an iron skillet, this cornbread recipe calls for Buttermilk, corn kernels and jalapenos.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels or 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425. Put butter in a 10- to 12-inch cast iron skillet; place in oven until butter is melted and pan is heated, 3-5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk cornmeal, sugar, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk.
- Remove hot skillet from oven; pour butter into the buttermilk mixture; whisk to combine. Using a pastry brush, coat pan with remaining butter.
- Stir cornmeal mixture into buttermilk mixture until moist. Stir in jalapeno and corn. Scrape batter into hot skillet; bake until golden, about 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.