Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I loved scones and had a lot of trouble finding a good recipe since being diagnosed with gluten intolerance - this is an adapted recipe from the BBC Food.
- 275 g rice flour
- 50 g tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 110 g butter
- 110 g sultanas (optional)
- 2 eggs, preferably free-range
- 125 -175 ml natural yoghurt
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 250°C/475°F/Gas 9.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Rub in the butter. Add the sultanas and gently mix together.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and natural yoghurt together.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the egg and yoghurt mixture. Mix to soft dough, adding a little more natural yoghurt if necessary.
- Turn onto a rice-floured board and knead lightly, just enough to shape into a round. Roll out to about 2.5cm/1in thick and cut out rounds using a 5.5cm/2¼in cutter. Place on a rice-floured baking sheet and brush with a little egg wash.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes until golden brown on top. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve split in half with butter and jam.
If your putting a recipe on the internet that states its gluten free you need to do more research because you have baking powder on your recipe and baking powder isn't gluten free. so this could make someone seriously ill. sarah
Thank you! I am just delving into to the GF world and this recipe has been great! Also big thanks to the last post for the measurement conversions - I get out my scale everytime and everytime am too thoughtless to check conversions. I have done Orange Cranberry and Fresh Raspberry and Blueberry with success - freeze fresh fruit before incorporating. This recipe is making a lot of GF people happy at my farmer's market!
I often make this recipe, using Doves Farm Gluten Free flour. It is the most authentic recipe I have come across. They don't stay 'fresh' for more than 24 hours, but that is never a problem at my house!