Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
2009 was my first gluten-free Thanksgiving dinner. Sage dressing is my favorite part of the meal, so I prepared this last year and LOVED it. I made it again the same week because there were hardly any leftovers. I also make it throughout the year as a side dish (instead of Stovetop®). Tapioca bread that has been refrigerated is easy to cube right out of the bag – no need to let it sit out and get stale. You can toast it the day before to save prep time.
- 1 loaf tapioca bread, refrigerated beforehand, then cubed and lightly toasted in warm oven
- 1 cup purple onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, reserve 1 T. for buttering dish (keep it cold until ready to use)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- ground black pepper
- 6 leaves fresh sage, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 2 cups chicken broth (more if needed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt all but 1 T. of the butter in a skillet.
- Add onion, celery, garlic salt, black pepper and dried rubbed sage.
- Saute lightly until tender, but do not let your butter cook away.
- Add the fresh chopped sage and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- In large bowl, pour the mixture over the toasted bread cubes and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Drizzle with 1 cup broth and mix gently.
- Butter a 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking dish with the reserved 1 T. cold butter.
- Place mixture in dish and spread out evenly.
- Drizzle with more broth.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and broil for 2-3 minutes until top just browns.