Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Modified from King Aurthur Flour's gluten free sandwich bread recipe to exclude dairy and eggs. The coconut oil was in a solid state when I measured it out by spooning it into the measuring cup. The original recipe recommends using a mixing stand but I made this with a hand mixer. The dough was very crumbly for me until after all ingredients had been added.
- Mix flax meal and water in a small bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix flour, sugar, yeast, salt and xanthan gum in a large bowl.
- Drizzle in the milk, beating the entire time.
- Add the coconut oil and mix until thoroughly blended.
- Beat in the flax mixture, a third at a time, beating the mixture thoroughly between each additino. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, then beat at high speed for 3 minutes, to make a very smooth, thick batter.
- Cover the bowl and let rise for 1 hour.
- Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl, gently deflating the batter in the process.
- Grease an 8 1/2" by 4 1/2" loaf pan.
- Scoop the dough into the pan. Press it level, using a spatula or your wet fingers.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap, and set in a warm place to rise until the loaf barely crowns above the rim of the 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" pan, approximately 45-60 minutes.
- Bake the bread at 350 degrees for 38 to 42 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove the bread from the oven, turn it out of the pan, and cool on a rack.