This is a delicious recipe! It is fairly fast and easy to prepare and can be enjoyed with cheese or vegan without. Eat it on it's own with some salad or have it with pasta or rice. It's like eating pizza without all that bread!
- Take your bulb of garlic and chop the tops off so that they are slightly open. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and bake in the oven at 400°F for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and soft to the touch. You can do this ahead of time.
- Preheat your oven on bake at 350°F, oil the bottom of your baking dish.
- Separate the garlic and mash it up into a paste.
- Slice your eggplant into steaks and your tomatoes into thin slices.
- Spread the roasted garlic onto the eggplant covering each piece, top with basil leaves if desired. Over lay with tomato slices and drizzle with balsamic vinegar, honey or maple syrup, and olive oil. Top with salt and pepper.
- Top with parmesan, asiago, or fontina if desired.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until brown and soft.
- For the Vegan option use Maple Syrup.