Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A bit like a filled shortbread cookie, these buttery-rich biscuits look just like the pasta - but a lot sweeter!
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet rice flour
- 1 cup potato starch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup fruit preserves
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup melted chocolate, for drizzling (optional)
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the egg, then stir in the vanilla and and lemon zest.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until a smooth dough forms.
- Divide dough into halves; roll each portion out between two sheets of waxed paper into a 12 inch square.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Remove one piece of the dough from the refrigerator, remove the top layer of waxed paper, and cut into 1 1/2 inch squares.
- Place about 1/4 teaspoon of the preserves into the center of the first sheet of squares; set aside.
- Remove the remaining piece of dough from the refrigerator, remove top layer of waxed paper, and cut into 1 1/2 inch squares also.
- Poke holes for venting in these squares using a fork.
- Place each vented square over one of the filled squares, and gently seal the edges by pressing with the tines of a fork.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes on greased cookie sheets in a preheated 350* ovedn, or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Dust cookies with confectioners' sugar while they are still slightly warm; or Enjoy!