Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Hodgson Mill's website. I have not tried this one yet, but it looks like a good basic recipe that you could add mix-ins to, if you liked.
- 1 cup soy flour
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease a 9x5" loaf pan.
- Mix flours, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Add honey, applesauce and water. Mix well.
- It should be like a cake batter - add a little water if it's dry.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 1 hour or until lightly browned. Allow to cool in pan for a minute or two, then remove to cool completely on a wire rack.
I made this bread for a friend who is gluten-free. I thought it was very tasty, had good texture. Sort of like a mild but dense corn bread.
Well, maybe 3.5 stars :) Super easy, esp for GF bread. I used Bobs GF flour blend for the soy flour, subbed agave for honey used oil instead of applesauce and threw in 1 tsp Xantham gum. Also added 1 cup berries and vanilla. Was a very attractive loaf and not bad. Covered and left on counter overnight and it was fine the next morning though a little bit crumbly. Toasted up delicious!
This came out of the oven very dense & heavy. It tasted best when fresh out of the oven, with a cornbread flavor. I stored it covered in the refrigerator, and it did not serve or heat well as leftovers. May be better with a few adjustments?