1/1 Photo of Gluten Free Pumpkin Cornbread
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 30 mins
The Blender Girl's Note:
I modified my mother-in-law’s beloved cornbread recipe to create this. The pumpkin gives the gluten free-flours a moisture and spring, and the lemon juice and spices lifts the mix. My first go was a triumph, and I have not changed anything since. I like to serve this bread right out of the oven, and put almond butter or regular butter on it. This is when the texture is moist and springy, and most resembles regular wheat bread. For those gluten free desperates who will seize any opportunity to taste something resembling moist light bread - this is your moment! This cornbread is a fantastic snack; wonderful with a hearty soup; as a side accompaniment to a zesty salad; or as a sweet treat with a cup of herbal tea. It will keep for a few days in the fridge, but will get firmer and a little more dense like all gluten-free breads.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup white rice flour
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine celtic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 cups canned pumpkin, organic. (1 cup if using fresh mashed pumpkin)
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup hemp milk
- 1/2 cup soft unsalted organic butter or 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 3 organic eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1Preheat your oven to 185C/350°F.
- 2Sift the flours, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan, salt and spices together into a bowl, stir in the cornmeal and mix well.
- 3In your mixer, cream the butter, add in the eggs and lemon juice, and mix until smooth.
- 4Now gradually spoon in the pumpkin and milk, and mix slowly until evenly combined.
- 5Keep the mixer running, and slowly pour in the dry ingredients, and combine until a smooth thick batter is achieved.
- 6Pour into a well greased or lined square loaf tin, and bake for about an hour and a half, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- 7After removing the bread from the oven, let it cool and settle in the tin for about 5 minutes.
- 8Then pop it out onto a rack, and allow to cool further.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten Free Pumpkin Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (1413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2655.6
- Calories from Fat 1104
- Total Fat 122.7 g
- Saturated Fat 66.1 g
- Cholesterol 878.5 mg
- Sodium 4654.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 338.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 35.9 g
- Sugars 21.8 g
- Protein 62.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
gluten free baking powder