Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A tasty, slightly chewy bread that stays moist without being crumbly. Even my non-GF spouse likes it. This is my adaptation of a recipe from "Easy Bread Making for Special Diets."
- 3 2⁄3 cups white rice flour
- 2⁄3 cup potato flour (not potato starch)
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vitamin C powder (from health food store)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons xanthan gum (yes, it's 2 T plus 2 tsp)
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 6 extra large eggs (should be 1/4 cup each, if not add water or another egg to total 1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup oil (olive or canola)
- Sift dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Heat the apple juice and water to 115 degrees, set aside.
- In large mixer bowl, beat eggs and oil together.
- Add apple juice and water.
- Slowly add dry ingredients at very low speed.
- One all ingredients are moist, beat at medium speed for 3 minutes--scraping bowl occasionally.
- Scrape dough together in bowl.
- Cover and put in warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Beat again for 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Oil 4"x8" pans and coat with rice flour.
- Put dough in pans and let rise until double (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake about 30 minutes until loaves are golden and dough springs back to touch.