Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was inspired by Pork and Beans Bread. My husband has a muffin everyday for breakfast so I'm always on the lookout for different healthy ones so he won't get bored. These muffins are very tasty and the extra protein from the beans is great at breakfast time. They are quite dense and filling, not a fluffy muffin. If you're not going to use the apples I would still use the apple pie spice.
- 236.59 ml gluten-free oats, ground
- 118.29 ml brown rice flour
- 118.29 ml flax seed, ground
- 118.29 ml almonds, ground
- 118.29 ml arrowroot (or other starch)
- 28.34 g chia seeds, ground (two tablespoons)
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml guar gum
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 59.14 ml grapeseed oil or 59.14 ml any vegetable oil
- 59.14 ml coconut oil
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 425.24 g can gluten-free pork and beans (remove the pork)
- 2 apples, chopped (optional)
- 29.58 ml butter (optional)
- 29.58 ml brown sugar (optional)
- 14.79 ml apple pie spice (optional)
- 236.59 ml walnuts, chopped (or ground if you don't like them)
- 236.59 ml raisins (soaked in hot water until plump then drained)
- In a medium bowl whisk the brown rice flour, arrowroot, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and guar gum. Grind almonds, flax and chia in blender or clean coffee grinder until very fine, then whisk into dry ingredients.
- Mash beans in a food processor or blender to a very smooth consistency. In a large bowl beat eggs, add sugar, oil, vanilla and mashed beans and mix well.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- If you are using the apples chop them into 1/4 inch dice and saute them on medium heat with a little butter and brown sugar and the tablespoon of apple pie spice and a pinch of salt until most of their liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Drain raisins and fold them, apples and walnuts into the mixture.
- Cover with saran wrap and let sit for 30 minutes to allow the gum to work.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 25 to 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.