Chef# 616082's Note:
This recipe was inspired by Pork and Beans Bread. My husband has a muffin everyday for breakfast so I'm always on the lookout for different healthy ones so he won't get bored. These muffins are very tasty and the extra protein from the beans is great at breakfast time. They are quite dense and filling, not a fluffy muffin. If you're not going to use the apples I would still use the apple pie spice.
My Private Note
large m ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup gluten-free oats, ground
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup flax seed, ground
- 1/2 cup almonds, ground
- 1/2 cup arrowroot (or other starch)
- 1 ounce chia seeds, ground (two tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil or 1/4 cup any vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (15 ounce) can gluten-free pork and beans (remove the pork)
- 2 apples, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice (optional)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (or ground if you don't like them)
- 1 cup raisins (soaked in hot water until plump then drained)
- 1In a medium bowl whisk the brown rice flour, arrowroot, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and guar gum. Grind almonds, flax and chia in blender or clean coffee grinder until very fine, then whisk into dry ingredients.
- 2Mash beans in a food processor or blender to a very smooth consistency. In a large bowl beat eggs, add sugar, oil, vanilla and mashed beans and mix well.
- 3Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- 4If you are using the apples chop them into 1/4 inch dice and saute them on medium heat with a little butter and brown sugar and the tablespoon of apple pie spice and a pinch of salt until most of their liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- 5Drain raisins and fold them, apples and walnuts into the mixture.
- 6Cover with saran wrap and let sit for 30 minutes to allow the gum to work.
- 7Bake in a 325 degree oven for 25 to 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten Free Pork and Bean Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (1383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.2
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 176.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 16.3 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
gluten-free pork and beans