Recipe by GinnyP
From Carol Fenster's "Special Diet Solutions".
Top Review by hollygollygee
I get rave reviews from gf people as well as non gfer's. I do have a little trick for making this perfect though. Once I get the dough on the well greased and well floured foil, I put the foil directly onto a preheated grill over medium heat. I cook for 5 minutes and then flip the dough over so it is directly on the grill and I peel off the foil and discard it. I cook the dough another 2 minutes and remove. Then I put on my topping and return to the grill. If the dough starts to get overdone, I remove the pizza from the grill and pop it under the broiler in my oven for a couple of minutes to get the cheese nice and bubbly. This cooking method makes a big difference. I have also doubled or tripled the recipe to make several crusts at once and then I freeze the crust to make an impromtu pizza later.
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 2⁄3 cup brown rice flour (I use 'garfava' flour which is a blend) or 2⁄3 cup gram flour (I use 'garfava' flour which is a blend) or 2⁄3 cup fava bean flour (I use 'garfava' flour which is a blend)
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk (Dairy alternative, 2 T tapioca flour or sweet rice flour in place of 2 T dry milk powder or non-dair) or 2 tablespoons non-dairy powdered coffee creamer (Dairy alternative, 2 T tapioca flour or sweet rice flour in place of 2 T dry milk powder or non-dair)
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2⁄3 cup water (110 degrees F)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar or 1⁄2 teaspoon honey or 1⁄2 teaspoon agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In medium bowl using regular beaters (not dough hooks), blend all ingredients on low speed.
- Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- (If mixer bounces around bowl, dough is too stiff. Add water if necessary, one tablespoon at a time, until dough does not resist beaters.) Dough will resemble soft bread dough.
- Put mixture on lightly greased 12-inch pizza pan or 11 x 7-inch pan (for deep dish version).
- Liberally sprinkle rice flour on dough, then press dough into pan, continuing to sprinkle with flour to prevent sticking to hands.
- Make edges slightly thicker to hold toppings.
- Bake pizza crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Spread pizza crust with your favorite sauce and toppings.
- Bake another 20 to 25 minutes or until top is nicely browned.