Recipe by farmfloosie
One of the best recipes for gluten free pastry that I've tried....and I've tried many. This recipe comes from Canadian Living with my own modification in that I add the egg yolk to the crust. *This recipe makes 1 double crust or two single crusts. *I halved the recipe with great success to make one single crust for a lemon meringue pie you see in the picture. 1 egg yolk is approximately 1 tablespoon, so use 1/2 of a tablespoon if you want to make one single crust. Followed Ann Lander's Best Lemon Meringue Pie (With Never-Fail Meringue) for the filling and meringue. I baked the single crust @ 400 degrees F. in glass (Pyrex) pie plate for 12 minutes or until it was golden. Note that cook time is just for single crust pie only.
- 2⁄3 cup brown rice flour
- 2⁄3 cup rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup sweet rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup ice water (approx.)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, whisk together brown, white and sweet rice flours, tapioca starch, granulated sugar, xanthan gum and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until in coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces.
- Stir ice water, beaten egg yolk and vinegar together in a small bowl; drizzle over flour mixture, tossing with fork until ragged dough forms and adding up to 2 tbsp more ice water if necessary. Divide in half; shape into discs. Wrap each and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes. (Make- ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.).
- Between 2 pieces of parchment paper, roll out 1 disc, pressing edges together if cracks form, into 12-inch (30 cm) circle. Peel off top paper; replace over pastry. Gently turn over; peel off top paper. Transfer, pastry side down, to 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate; peel off paper. Fit pastry into pie plate.
- * For single crust pie, turn edge under and flute. Prick bottom and sides with fork. Bake 10-15 minutes (I used Pyrex-glass pie plate) at 400°F or until crust is golden.
- * For double crust pie, add filling of choice. Roll out top crust. Moisten bottom crust with water, and add Place pastry circle over filling; peel off paper. Trim, if necessary, to leave 3/4-inch (2 cm) overhang. Fold overhang under bottom rim; crimp with fork. Bake on bottom rack in 425F (220C) oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F (180C); bake until bubbly and bottom is golden, about 1 hour. Let cool in pan on rack.