Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
One of the best recipes for gluten free pastry that I've tried....and I've tried many. This recipe comes from Canadian Living with my own modification in that I add the egg yolk to the crust. *This recipe makes 1 double crust or two single crusts. *I halved the recipe with great success to make one single crust for a lemon meringue pie you see in the picture. 1 egg yolk is approximately 1 tablespoon, so use 1/2 of a tablespoon if you want to make one single crust. Followed Ann Lander's Best Lemon Meringue Pie (With Never-Fail Meringue) for the filling and meringue. I baked the single crust @ 400 degrees F. in glass (Pyrex) pie plate for 12 minutes or until it was golden. Note that cook time is just for single crust pie only.
- In large bowl, whisk together brown, white and sweet rice flours, tapioca starch, granulated sugar, xanthan gum and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until in coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces.
- Stir ice water, beaten egg yolk and vinegar together in a small bowl; drizzle over flour mixture, tossing with fork until ragged dough forms and adding up to 2 tbsp more ice water if necessary. Divide in half; shape into discs. Wrap each and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes. (Make- ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.).
- Between 2 pieces of parchment paper, roll out 1 disc, pressing edges together if cracks form, into 12-inch (30 cm) circle. Peel off top paper; replace over pastry. Gently turn over; peel off top paper. Transfer, pastry side down, to 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate; peel off paper. Fit pastry into pie plate.
- * For single crust pie, turn edge under and flute. Prick bottom and sides with fork. Bake 10-15 minutes (I used Pyrex-glass pie plate) at 400°F or until crust is golden.
- * For double crust pie, add filling of choice. Roll out top crust. Moisten bottom crust with water, and add Place pastry circle over filling; peel off paper. Trim, if necessary, to leave 3/4-inch (2 cm) overhang. Fold overhang under bottom rim; crimp with fork. Bake on bottom rack in 425F (220C) oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F (180C); bake until bubbly and bottom is golden, about 1 hour. Let cool in pan on rack.