Since our household became 'Gluten Free' I've had to radically change my cooking. One challenge I've finally conquered was a good pie crust pastry that would hold together and act like my old wheaten one did! Our non GF friends reckon they can't tell the difference. Warning: Some cheap Chickpea Flours can be bitter, so buy a good quality one. This recipe is good for a 25cm (9") round pie dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 60 g besan flour (Chickpea)
- 60 g potato flour or 60 g potato starch
- 30 g rice flour (White or brown is OK) or 30 g rice starch (White or brown is OK)
- 30 g arrowroot
- 1 1/2 tablespoons gluten-free cornflour (Known as cornstarch in the US)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 40 g coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1Preheat oven to 160C Fan Forced, 350F, or Gas Mark 4.
- 2Place all dry ingredients in a bowl with an airtight lid and with lid on, shake until well mixed.
- 3Add the remaining moist ingredients to the dry and mix until well combined.
- 4Work into a ball, and after a short knead (just to finish the mixing) roll out the dough between two pieces of baking paper. Peel off the top paper as necessary to smooth out any wrinkles, but always replace it before continuing to roll.
- 5Once rolled to the desired size, peel off the top layer of paper, and then invert the dough onto the pie dish. Smooth the dough into the dish before peeling off the other sheet of baking paper.
- 6Prick the base and bake for approx 10 mins, then fill as desired.
- 7The pie base can be filled when uncooked and will be cooked when the filling is cooked as long as it is in the oven for at least 15 minutes.
- 8This base can brown very quickly, so if the edges are left uncovered and the filling takes a long time to cook, the pie may need to be covered with foil to stop it burning around the edge.
- 9If you wish to put a lid on your pie, make double the quantity and cover the cooking pie when the crust is as brown as you want it.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten Free Pie Crust Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (39 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.1
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 241.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: