Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have not tried this yet, but have been searching long and hard for such a recipe. From message board poster jenvan at celiac.com. Time and yield are estimates. Update 1/2/07: I finally tried this recipe! It was delicious and fairly easy to work with, but I was not able to roll it as thinly as I would have liked. I thought it tasted more like pie crust than phyllo dough, but everyone loved the flavor! This may become my new GF pie crust recipe! If anyone figures out how to roll it really thin I'd love to hear how you accomplished it!
- Mix together rice flour, sweet rice flour, xanthan gum and gelatin.
- Make a well in dry ingredients large enough to hold the liquids.
- Lightly beat egg with ¼ C milk, butter and honey.
- Pour this into well in dry ingredients.
- Mix everything together until you have a soft dough. (Depending on brand of rice flour, you may want to stir in more milk).
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap until ready to use for your favorite holiday pastry.
- Store in refrigerator if not using immediately.
- *Use margarine or oil to make dairy-free dough.
We used the dough for fried spring rolls, and we really enjoyed the taste. However, we has a tough time rolling out the dough since it's sticky. After trying wax paper, flour, and oil, we got lucky with plastic wrap. We placed plastic wrap between the dough and the counter top, as well as on top of the dough before using the rolling pin. That process was rather easy. We will be using this recipe again!
I have been looking for a GF pie crust recipe now for a long time. Thank you so much!!