Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a very moist gluten-free cake, rich and luxurious tasting. I make this with my "I Can't Believe It's Not Gluten! Gluten-Free Cake Flour Mix" (I Can't Believe It's Not Gluten! Gluten-Free Cake Flour Mix) but you can use most premixed gluten-free flours as long as they contain xanthan or guar gum. Use extremely ripe Hachiya persimmons (not Fuyu). They should be so mushy that they nearly fall apart in your hands.
- 2 cups hachiya persimmon pulp
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups gluten-free flour, mix
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a 8" round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, mix persimmon pulp, eggs, butter, buttermilk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Slowly fold the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add chopped nuts and stir to incorporate.
- Pour into cake pan and bake for about 50 minutes.
- When done, the center will still be very moist and soft (it may seem undercooked), but the outside of the cake should have formed a firm crust and be well-browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Slice and serve warm.
reminded me of persimmon pudding. Flavorful and yummy texture.
This is unbelievably delicious! One doesn't have to NEED a gluten free diet to appreciate this dessert! I used my favorite gluten free flour mix (Gluten Free All Purpose Flour). I couldn't find coconut flour so substituted toasted shredded coconut. The flavor is reminiscent of pumpkin pie, but not so similar that you might as well be eating pumpkin pie! Moist with a complex blend of flavors...just excellent!