Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a remake of an old family recipe that we have had for Christmas for as long as I can remember. It is a steamed pudding with a sauce that you put over top of it. After finding out that I was gluten intolerant I thought that I would not get to enjoy it anymore, but I am very happy that I was able to recreate the recipe. I hope that you will enjoy it as much as my family does.
Ingredients for Pudding
- 1 cup suet, ground (beef fat)
- 1 cup raisins, ground
- 1 3⁄4 cups gluten-free flour (a blend with xanthan gum)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 cup sour milk (or 1/2 tablespoon white distilled vinegar with enough milk to make a 1/2 cup)
- 1 egg
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 2 cups water
- If making sour milk, mix your vinegar and milk together before you start and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Place ground suet and raisins in a large bowl. Mix with dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients. Dough will be stiff.
- Place in buttered pan. Cover tightly with wax paper or a cover. Place in a steamer for 2 hours or in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes with steam flowing in cooker with 5 pounds of pressure.
- Serve with Sweet and Sour Sauce. Recipe follows as follows:.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, and butter in a medium sauce pan.
- Add liquid ingredients.
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil and cook until sauce thickens.
- Serve over warm Christmas pudding.