Deliciously sweet, soft oat challah. Not the same tasting as regular challah, but a lot better than most gluten free breads! Adapted from a frumceliac recipe.
- 1 2⁄3 cups water, very warm
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- agave syrup, 10 squirts or honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 egg yolk, beaten (for egg wash)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup rice flour (brown or white)
- 3 cups oat flour (gluten free certified)
- 3 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- poppy seed (optional)
- sunflower seeds (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients according to your bread machine's directions and run it on dough cycle. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- When it's finished, dump the dough into small greased oval pans or muffin tins. Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with poppy, sunflower, and/or sesame seeds.
- Bake at 375 F degrees until done (about 20 minutes). It should be nicely browned on top.
This bread is delicious and soft! What a pleasant treat for dinner. I will definitely make it again.
This is a fantastic bread - everyone loved it! I made it in muffin tins and I used a topping made from 1T margarine (or butter), 2T Gluten free flour and 2 T sugar.