Recipe by What's Cooking?
I haven't tried this but it looks promising. This recipe is adapted from the original which was created by Arvinder Malhotra and published on Celiac.com. When I try it, I will probably post a new version with adjustments (and convert it into American measurement units).
Top Review by patricia.swiderski
I love this bread and am very happy to have it GF. One issue - I think the milk/sugar/yeast mixture was left out of the instructions once after the first paragraph. And, once I added it I had to add a lot more rice and tapioca flour to get the dough to the right consistency.
- 150 ml tepid whole milk
- 275 g rice flour
- 60 g tapioca flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 150 ml plain yogurt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ghee (optional) or olive oil (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl mix tepid milk with 1 teaspoon sugar and the yeast, then sit bowl in warm place for 4-5 minutes.
- Sift the flours, Xanthan gum, salt, baking powder into a bowl or food mixer. Add remaining sugar, oil, yogurt, egg and mix until smooth.
- Preheat oven to the highest setting. Make dough into 6 equal sized balls. Roll out balls into a tear shape that is ¼ inch thick (use rice flour if necessary to prevent sticking).
- Preheat a heavy baking tray in oven. Remove tray and put the naan on it. Return to the oven for 3 minutes or until the naan puffs up and turns light brown. Place tray under the broiler 30 seconds to 1 minute for extra browning.
- Brush with ghee or olive oil before serving.