Recipe by Chef# 616082
Finally, tasty nutritious gluten free buns that rise well and taste delicious. I often add spice to the mix that would contribute to the taste of the final sandwich such as a teaspoon of garlic or onion powder or Mrs Dash etc. If you don't have chia add another egg but they rise better and are better for you with the Chia. I got sick of all of my tasty, nutritious sesame seeds falling on my plate so now I toss them in.
- 1 cup water, 115 degrees
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 ounce chia seeds (2 tablespoons)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 cup almonds, toasted
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed
- 1⁄4 cup arrowroot or 1⁄4 cup potato starch or 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup teff
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons guar gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter 2 muffin top pans or 12 english muffin rings and place on parchment lined baking sheet .
- In a small bowl stir sugar into 1 cup of water, sprinkle yeast on top, cover with saran wrap and set aside to bloom.
- Stir the chia seeds into the 1/2 cup of water stir well. Three minutes later stir again then set aside.
- Grind gluten free oats, toasted almonds and flax in coffee grinder until they are very fine.
- Combine tapioca starch, arrowroot, teff, guar gum, baking powder and sesame seeds in the bowl of electric mixer. Add oat, flax and almond meal and mix on low until well combined with no lumps.
- In a small bowl mix eggs, honey, oil, cider vinegar and chia mixture.
- Add to dry ingredients along with yeast mixture.
- Blend on low speed until combined, push down sides of bowl with spatula then mix on medium high for 4 minutes. If too wet add a little more oat flour if too dry add water a teaspoon at a time until correct texture is reached.
- Spoon into rings, smooth with the back of a damp spoon, sprinkle with sesame seeds if you like them.
- Rise in a warm place until they are double in size (about 45 minutes).
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes until they are deep golden brown with an internal temperature of 210 degrees.