Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Living Without. This comes out very tasty, but also very gelatinous. I'm not 100% sold on the texture, though it is improved by warming it up before eating.
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup gluten-free flour, blend of choice (Try High-Protein, Gluten-Free Flour Blend)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk, of choice (plain rice, soy, almond)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Mix together granulated sugar, gluten-free flour blend, 2 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.
- Stir in warm milk and oil. Spoon mixture into pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix brown sugar and remaining ¼ cup cocoa together. Sprinkle mixture over batter in the pan. Slowly pour boiling water over the top.
- Bake on middle rack of preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Dessert is done when the cake portion feels somewhat firm to the touch.