Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found on the web. Posting here for safe keeping.
Make and share this Gluten Free Mandarin & Almond Syrup Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 300 ml heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar icing (see note)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 mandarin oranges, unpeeled
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (see note)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar, extra
- 1⁄4 cup mandarin juice (fresh)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- ground cardamom, extra, to serve
- melted butter, to grease
- Combine the cream, icing sugar and cardamom in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- Place mandarins in a saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Drain. Repeat 2 more times. Set aside to cool. Quarter, leaving peel intact. Remove and discard any seeds.
- Preheat oven to 160°C Brush a round 22cm (base measurement) cake pan with melted butter to grease. Line the base and side with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the mandarin in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. With the motor running, add the eggs, 1 at a time, until combined. Add the almond meal, caster sugar, baking powder and vanilla. Process until just combined. Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, combine the extra sugar, mandarin juice and water in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the syrup thickens slightly.
- Pour three-quarters of the hot syrup over the cake. Set aside for 20 minutes to cool slightly. Transfer to a serving plate. Cut the cake into slices. Divide among serving plates and drizzle over the remaining syrup. Top with a dollop of the cream mixture and sprinkle with extra cardamom to serve.