Recipe by IrishEyes.NYC
Even though you've got dietary restrictions, that doesn't mean that yummy comfort food is off the menu!
Top Review by AllergenChef
This will be served often at our house! So much better than the boxed stuff from Trader Joe's...used plain salt instead of seasoning salt; subbed dry mustard for the ground pepper.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups shredded cheese, divided
- 16 ounces gluten-free elbow macaroni
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375° F and grease 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions BUT reduce cooking time so the pasta is still quite a bit firm.
- Drain macaroni and set aside.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- Stir in seasoned salt and pepper; remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk corn starch into milk until smooth.
- Stir milk into butter mixture and whisk until well-blended.
- Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until thickened (about 5 minutes or so) and remove from heat.
- Stir three cups of shredded cheese into sauce until melted; reserve one cup of cheese for topping.
- Combine cheese mixture with macaroni and spoon into prepared pan.
- Top with crunchy topping (recipe below) and reserved shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until crunchy topping is nice and toasty.
- CRUNCHY TOPPING: Pulse in a food processor until it becomes coarse crumbs: 2 slices toasted gluten-free bread; 1 tsp butter, softened; 1/2 teaspoons paprika.