Even though you've got dietary restrictions, that doesn't mean that yummy comfort food is off the menu!
- Preheat oven to 375° F and grease 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions BUT reduce cooking time so the pasta is still quite a bit firm.
- Drain macaroni and set aside.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- Stir in seasoned salt and pepper; remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk corn starch into milk until smooth.
- Stir milk into butter mixture and whisk until well-blended.
- Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until thickened (about 5 minutes or so) and remove from heat.
- Stir three cups of shredded cheese into sauce until melted; reserve one cup of cheese for topping.
- Combine cheese mixture with macaroni and spoon into prepared pan.
- Top with crunchy topping (recipe below) and reserved shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until crunchy topping is nice and toasty.
- CRUNCHY TOPPING: Pulse in a food processor until it becomes coarse crumbs: 2 slices toasted gluten-free bread; 1 tsp butter, softened; 1/2 teaspoons paprika.
This will be served often at our house! So much better than the boxed stuff from Trader Joe's...used plain salt instead of seasoning salt; subbed dry mustard for the ground pepper.
Wow this was awesome! Even my 5 year old that has never liked mac-n-cheese really liked this recipe! Very easy to put together and very tasty. Thanks!
Great recipe! We used an 8 oz package of quinoa pasta and cut the rest of the recipe by half. I'm anxious to try with Tinkyada noodles next time. We used more salt then the recipe called for and bought already made GF breadcrumbs. My kids loved it too:)