Recipe by N N N
Delectable, low fat, gluten-free cake that doesn't require dozens of specialty flours and ingredients. Moister and lighter than traditional versions. Chock full of carrots, but the kids will never know.
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, grated
- 1⁄4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose baking flour (2 cups for batter, 1/2 cup for dusting carrots and ginger)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 (4 ounce) containers applesauce (plain, no sugar or flavorings added)
- 3⁄4 cup yogurt, Greek-style, plain nonfat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray (2) 9 inches round cake pans with cooking spray. Line bottoms and sides with parchment paper cut to fit pans (the better the fit, the easier the turn out).
- In a bowl, combine carrots and ginger, and dust with 1/2 cup flour. Toss with fingers, making sure that all pieces are coated with flour. Retain excess flour; do not discard.
- Sift all dry ingredients together.
- On low speed, using hand mixer or stand mixer, mix all wet ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in mixer bowl. Mix on medium speed until incorporated.
- Add carrot, ginger and flour mixture to batter. Mix on low speed just until incorporated.
- Pour half the batter into each prepared cake pan, and bake in middle of pre-heated oven for 45 minutes, rotating pans half way through baking time.
- Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick. Add time if necessary. When toothpick comes out dry, remove pans from oven and allow to cool 10 minutes.
- Turn cakes out onto baking racks, and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Frost cakes if desired. For fat-free cream cheese frosting, combine (2) 8 oz. packages fat-free cream cheese with 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, 1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar and 2-3 tablespoons milk. Mix on medium speed until smooth and fluffy.