1 hr 15 mins
N N N's Note:
Delectable, low fat, gluten-free cake that doesn't require dozens of specialty flours and ingredients. Moister and lighter than traditional versions. Chock full of carrots, but the kids will never know.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose baking flour (2 cups for batter, 1/2 cup for dusting carrots and ginger)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 (4 ounce) containers applesauce (plain, no sugar or flavorings added)
- 3/4 cup yogurt, Greek-style, plain nonfat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Spray (2) 9 inches round cake pans with cooking spray. Line bottoms and sides with parchment paper cut to fit pans (the better the fit, the easier the turn out).
- 3In a bowl, combine carrots and ginger, and dust with 1/2 cup flour. Toss with fingers, making sure that all pieces are coated with flour. Retain excess flour; do not discard.
- 4Sift all dry ingredients together.
- 5On low speed, using hand mixer or stand mixer, mix all wet ingredients together in a large bowl.
- 6Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in mixer bowl. Mix on medium speed until incorporated.
- 7Add carrot, ginger and flour mixture to batter. Mix on low speed just until incorporated.
- 8Pour half the batter into each prepared cake pan, and bake in middle of pre-heated oven for 45 minutes, rotating pans half way through baking time.
- 9Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick. Add time if necessary. When toothpick comes out dry, remove pans from oven and allow to cool 10 minutes.
- 10Turn cakes out onto baking racks, and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- 11Frost cakes if desired. For fat-free cream cheese frosting, combine (2) 8 oz. packages fat-free cream cheese with 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, 1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar and 2-3 tablespoons milk. Mix on medium speed until smooth and fluffy.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten Free, Low Fat, Spiced Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 120.9
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 32.1 mg
- Sodium 204.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 21.1 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose baking flour