Recipe by InnerHarmonyNutrition
I minimized the amount of sugar, and it works quite well if you eat them with lemon curd or jam and/or whipped cream.
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup non-dairy milk substitute
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1⁄2 cup coconut flour or 1⁄2 cup gluten-free flour
- 1⁄3 cup raw sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak poppy seeds in milk and store in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF/180ºC degrees.
- In a food processor, mix flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add small chunks of chilled butter and mix.
- Beat an egg in a small bowl and add a half of the egg as well as the milk with poppy seeds, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Mix until the dough comes together in a big lump.
- On a flat surface dusted with extra flour, gather the dough into one ball. Divide the ball into two or three depending on how small you want your scones (I divided into two).
- Flatten the dough into round disks (about 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick). Cut into 6 – 8 wedges.
- Add a tiny amount of water to the remaining egg and brush the egg wash on top of the scones.
- Bake for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. Infuse love and serve (with lemon curd/jam and/or whipped cream if you wish)!