Recipe by InnerHarmonyNutrition
Gluten-free cakes tend to get dense and this cake rather has the consistency of a pudding cake, but it is good with some ice cream or whipped cream on top. I like to keep the sugar content of our cakes minimum, but if you like a sweeter cake, please increase the amount of sugar up to a cup. For more healthy gluten-free recipes, please visit my blog, www.innerharmonynutrition.com.
- 2 eggs, at room temperature separated
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup coconut sugar)
- cooking spray, for coating the pan
- powdered sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C degrees. Spray a 7-inch round springform pan or a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until a stiff peak forms. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
- Add lemon juice and milk to the flour mixture and mix well.
- In another bowl, beat butter and sugar well. Add egg yolks and beat again.
- Add to the cake batter and mix well.
- Fold egg whites into the batter and mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- Infuse love, slice and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.