Recipe by Mia in Germany
These actually are Christmas cookies, but I made them all year. They are not really macaroons but are called "lemon bread" in Germany. I forgot how many cookies the recipe yields, but I remember I got really a lot. Store them in a cool place in an airtight container or they will get hard quickly.
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 lb powdered sugar
- 2 lemons
- 1⁄2 lb almonds, finely ground
- 1⁄3 lb hazelnuts, finely ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in sifted powdered sugar and juicce of the 2 lemons.
- Fold in ground almonds and hazelnuts.
- With two teaspoons place little heaps onto greased cookie sheet. I'd recommend using baking paper or silicon sheets.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, you can prepare some lemon icing from lemon juice and powdered sugar. Ice cookies after removing from oven.
- Let cool completely and store in an airtight container in a cool place.