Prep 5 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Gluten and dairy free Hot Cross Buns are packed with raisins, currants, craisins and candied fruit along with sweet, warming spices. Drizzled with honey right out of the oven, I can't even begin to explain how DELICIOUS these are!
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup currants
- 1⁄4 cup craisins
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups sorghum flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup chickpea flour
- 1⁄4 cup chestnut flour
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup jaggery or 1⁄2 cup coconut sugar
- 1⁄4 cup diced candied fruit (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 drops almond extract (optional)
- 3 tablespoons honey, warmed until runny
- Combine raisins, currants, craisins, orange juice, orange zest, water and vanilla. Let soak at least 20 minutes.
- Combine yeast, flours, starch, guar gum, spices, jaggery, candied fruit and salt in a stand mixer.
- Add the fruit mixture (along with any soaking liquid), oil and egg.
- Mix for 5 minutes dough will be stiff but slightly sticky.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot for 2 hours, until puffy but not necessarily doubled in size.
- Grease a 9x13” baking dish.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces and roll into balls with lightly oiled hands.
- Place them in baking dish, re-cover and set aside in a warm place for 2 hours, until risen.
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Whisk together the “cross” ingredients to form a smooth paste.
- Scrape into a small zip-top bag and snip the corner.
- Pipe the paste in a cross over the center of each bun.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until they sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from the oven and immediately drizzle with honey.
- Return to the oven for 2 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then move to a wire rack.