Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A rich, moist gluten-free honey cake infused with the essence of orange. This recipe uses Pamela's Ultimate Baking & Pancake Mix, a widely available kosher gluten-free mix that contains no added sugar. If you use a different GF flour mix, you will need to add additional baking powder and xanthan gum. For this recipe, a 9" round cake pan is ideal but a 9x13" square pan can be used if necessary. Kosher: Dairy.
- 177.44 ml turbinado sugar or 177.44 ml white sugar
- 236.59 ml honey
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 59.14 ml applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 9.85 ml grated orange zest
- 236.59 ml orange juice
- 709.77 ml Pamelas ultimate baking and pancake mix (Gluten-Free)
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cover the bottom of a 9" circular baking pan with parchment paper, then spray the inside of the pan lightly with baking spray.
- Stir together the flour mix, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Separate the eggs. In one bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. In another bowl, combine egg yolks, sugar, honey, oil, applesauce and orange zest.
- Using a whisk or hand beater, add the flour mixture and orange juice to the wet mixture slowly. When mixed thoroughly, fold the egg whites carefully into the batter, stirring just until ingredients are fully combined.
- Pour batter into pan, and bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake's center comes out with just a few crumbs on it. Remove from oven and allow to cool before carefully removing from pan and placing onto a cooling rack.
Best honey cake I've ever eaten! My brother made this cake for the new year, and everyone loved it. In my experience honey cake is usually dried out and has a slight bitter flavor. This cake was moist and perfectly sweet without the tinge of bitterness. An additional benefit was there was so much batter that he got 2 cakes out of this recipe.
The cake spilled out all over my oven. I think a angel food pan would be better than a regular cake pan. Has anyone else experienced this?
Wow, is this cake good! Two in my family eat gluten-free so I made this cake for the holidays. Even my gluten-eating, honey cake hating husband liked this! And boy did the house smell teriffic while it baked! Thanks!