Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
I was missing one of my favorite Holiday treats due to it usually being made with vanilla wafers which contain Gluten and I can't have that so I tinkered around with my recipe and came up with these. They taste wonderful and none of my family guessed they were Gluten Free! Just make sure you add the Rum a little at a time, you don't want your dough to be too runny. I'm going to try dipping some in chocolate too.
- 473.18 ml gluten-free vanilla shortbread, crumbs (Just whirl the Gluten Free shortbread around in your food processor until it is reduced to fine crum)
- 709.77 ml powdered sugar (you may need more)
- 236.59 ml walnuts, reduced to crumbs in the food processor
- 118.29 ml almonds, reduced to crumbs in the food processor
- 59.14 ml good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- 59.14 ml good quality dark rum
- 118.29 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 78.07 ml canned milk
- 9.85 ml rum extract
- powdered sugar, for rolling the rum balls
- Melt semisweet chips along with canned milk in the microwave on low-med or setting 5 for approximately 45 seconds or until chips can be gently stirred into the milk. set aside.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together well.
- add the rum a little at a time until everything makes a stiff dough.
- You may need more rum, just add until it's the right consistency. Like play dough.
- Add melted chocolate mixture and rum extract and mix well.
- Rum Ball dough should be stiff yet pliable.
- Roll into teaspoon sized balls and coat with powdered sugar. put into small papers and store covered in the fridge for at least 3 days to let flavors mellow, then just before serving, roll in more powdered sugar.
- These freeze well. Just freeze on a cookie sheet and store in a freezer bag for up to 4 weeks.