Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
I was missing one of my favorite Holiday treats due to it usually being made with vanilla wafers which contain Gluten and I can't have that so I tinkered around with my recipe and came up with these. They taste wonderful and none of my family guessed they were Gluten Free! Just make sure you add the Rum a little at a time, you don't want your dough to be too runny. I'm going to try dipping some in chocolate too.
- 2 cups gluten-free vanilla shortbread, crumbs (Just whirl the Gluten Free shortbread around in your food processor until it is reduced to fine crum)
- 3 cups powdered sugar (you may need more)
- 1 cup walnuts, reduced to crumbs in the food processor
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, reduced to crumbs in the food processor
- 1⁄4 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup good quality dark rum
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup canned milk
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- powdered sugar, for rolling the rum balls
- Melt semisweet chips along with canned milk in the microwave on low-med or setting 5 for approximately 45 seconds or until chips can be gently stirred into the milk. set aside.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together well.
- add the rum a little at a time until everything makes a stiff dough.
- You may need more rum, just add until it's the right consistency. Like play dough.
- Add melted chocolate mixture and rum extract and mix well.
- Rum Ball dough should be stiff yet pliable.
- Roll into teaspoon sized balls and coat with powdered sugar. put into small papers and store covered in the fridge for at least 3 days to let flavors mellow, then just before serving, roll in more powdered sugar.
- These freeze well. Just freeze on a cookie sheet and store in a freezer bag for up to 4 weeks.