Sylvan Green's Note:
I was missing one of my favorite Holiday treats due to it usually being made with vanilla wafers which contain Gluten and I can't have that so I tinkered around with my recipe and came up with these. They taste wonderful and none of my family guessed they were Gluten Free! Just make sure you add the Rum a little at a time, you don't want your dough to be too runny. I'm going to try dipping some in chocolate too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups gluten-free vanilla shortbread, crumbs (Just whirl the Gluten Free shortbread around in your food processor until it is reduced to fine crum)
- 3 cups powdered sugar (you may need more)
- 1 cup walnuts, reduced to crumbs in the food processor
- 1/2 cup almonds, reduced to crumbs in the food processor
- 1/4 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup good quality dark rum
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup canned milk
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- powdered sugar, for rolling the rum balls
- 1Melt semisweet chips along with canned milk in the microwave on low-med or setting 5 for approximately 45 seconds or until chips can be gently stirred into the milk. set aside.
- 2Mix all the dry ingredients together well.
- 3add the rum a little at a time until everything makes a stiff dough.
- 4You may need more rum, just add until it's the right consistency. Like play dough.
- 5Add melted chocolate mixture and rum extract and mix well.
- 6Rum Ball dough should be stiff yet pliable.
- 7Roll into teaspoon sized balls and coat with powdered sugar. put into small papers and store covered in the fridge for at least 3 days to let flavors mellow, then just before serving, roll in more powdered sugar.
- 8These freeze well. Just freeze on a cookie sheet and store in a freezer bag for up to 4 weeks.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten Free Holiday Rum Balls
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.4
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 2.8 mg
- Sodium 32.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 38.4 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
gluten-free vanilla shortbread