Recipe by David J Rust
A tradition in our family is to have an egg-bake on Christmas morning. It's one of those dishes that Mom found could be used to sneak a few vegetables into the kids' diets without them really complaining too much. It's something we look forward to each year and goes very well with a roast ham.
- 20 cremini mushrooms (whole)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 stalks broccoli (crowns only, no stems, chopped into florettes)
- 1 large yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 12 ounces white bread (gluten-free, about one loaf)
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese (shredded, may substitute other cheese)
- 4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 12 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and slice the cremini (brown) mushrooms.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter with the grapeseed oil.
- When the butter is completely melted, sauté the mushrooms in it with the dried marjoram until darkened and the slices have shrunk to about 2/3rds their un-cooked size.
- Add half the salt and half the pepper to the mushrooms along with the broccoli and onion. Continue to sauté until the onions turn translucent. Remove the vegetables to a mixing bowl.
- Slice the gluten-free bread into small, bite-size cubes and add to the mixing bowl with the vegetables. Add all of the mozzarella cheese and half of the cheddar cheese. Fold the ingredients -the vegetables, the bread, and the cheeses- together.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the milk, eggs, and remainder of the salt and pepper together.
- Oil a 3-quart, oven-safe baking dish.
- To the oiled baking dish, add the vegetables, bread, and cheese, spreading it out evenly on the bottom. Pour the whisked milk and eggs over the top, slowly, distributing the mixture evenly into the vegetables and bread.
- Sprinkle the remaining half of the cheese evenly over the top.
- Let sit, covered, for 15-30 minutes. Heat your oven to 350 (°F).
- Place the baking dish, un-covered, in the heated oven and bake for 30-45 minutes, checking for doneness of the eggs to match your personal preference.
- Remove from the oven and serve, cutting into squares.
- OPTIONAL: Add slices of raw, cherry tomatoes over the top as a flavorful garnish.