Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I searched all over the internet for a gluten free version of hamburger helper/casserole. I ended up making my own and came up with something delicious! My DH is gluten-intolerant and a very picky eater so I had to keep it simple. I think it could be even better with stewed tomatoes added in, even chili beans if you want to lean more towards a Chili Mac type casserole. Add some crushed gluten-free crackers on top for some crunch. Enjoy!
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) box gluten-free pasta (I used De Boles macaroni & cheese)
- 2 lbs ground meat (I used venison. You can use beef, turkey, etc)
- 1 ounce taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon of minced onion (fresh or dehydrated will work)
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese (optional) or 1 tablespoon Laughing Cow cheese, wedge (optional)
- Brown ground meat.
- While browning add salt, pepper and onions to meat.
- Boil your macaroni noodles according to package.
- Mix the cheese powder included with the noodles according to package and set aside.
- When meat is done add taco mix, according to package, mix well.
- Let meat simmer until liquid is evaporated. (add cheese wedge or a tablespoon of cream cheese if you would like).
- When noodles are done drain and rinse them off.
- Add the noodles to a casserole dish and add cheese mix that was included in the box, stir.
- Add mozzarella cheese and stir. (don't worry if it doesn't all melt).
- Add the meat mixture into the casserole dish and stir gently til combined.
- Add the sharp cheddar cheese on top.
- Cook at 350 degrees until hot and cheese is melted.