Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from the CIA at Greystone. This recipe can be made into bread loaves or 20 rolls, as needed.
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour, blend # 3
- 3 cups flour, blend # 5
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons guar gum
- 2 1⁄3 tablespoons instant yeast
- 3 1⁄2 cups sparkling water
- 6 egg whites
Blend 3 - makes 5 1/4 cups
- 3⁄4 cup rice flour
- 4 cups potato starch
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons guar gum
- 1⁄2 cup powdered egg whites (albumen)
Blend 5 - makes 5 1/4 cups
- 1 3⁄4 cups rice flour (white rice)
- 1 1⁄4 cups tapioca starch
- 1 3⁄4 cups soy flour (defatted)
- 1⁄2 cup whey powder
- Thoroughly combine flour blends, salt, guar gum, and yeast.
- In a separate bowl, combine sparkling water and egg whites and then add the wet to the dry ingredients.
- Mix, using a paddle, for 4 minutes on low speed or until smooth.
- Just before shaping, consider stirring in your favorite additional ingredients (grated cheese, herbs, raisins, vegetables, fruits, or spices). Layer some of the filling as you assemble the roll or loaf.
- Scoop the mixture into greased baking cup pans for rolls or loaf pans for bread loaves, filling about two-thirds full.
- Proof the shaped product in a warm, humid environment for 40 to 55 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven, with some steam/moisture. Bake rolls for 15 minutes and breads for 45 to 55 minutes.
- Once the bread has risen to the top of the pan, vent the oven (if applicable; usually just necessary in professional ovens) during the last 5 to 8 minutes. The product should be firm at the center with an internal temperature of 210 degrees F. You can test this with a meat thermometer. If the bread is not at the correct temperature, bake for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven and unmold onto cooling racks.