Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
It took me 18 months, but I finally figured out how to make a fabulous frog eye without gluten! Pasta Mia and Barilla both make a Stelline shape that works great. Enjoy your frog eye again!!! p.s. I found the pasta on vitacost.com. p.s.s. an 8-oz container of Cool Whip can be substituted for the whipping cream and sugar with little change in flavor.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown rice flour
- 1 egg
- 21 ounces crushed pineapple, reserve juice
- 21 ounces mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (8 7/8 ounce) boxstelline gluten-free pasta (star-shaped, Pasta Mia and Barilla both make one)
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- Cook pasta according to box directions (~6 minutes). Drain pasta and set aside.
- Drain oranges and return to the can with the drained crushed pineapple. Reserve pineapple juice. Cover and refrigerate fruit.
- Whisk together rice flour, salt, sugar, egg and pineapple juice. Bring to a boil. Pour over pasta and mix well. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled (~1 hour).
- Whip whipping cream and sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold whipping cream, chilled fruit, pasta mixture and marshmallows together. Chill until ready to serve.