Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
My other half loves fried mushrooms, but can't eat regular flour based breading. So after looking at several different recipes I modified luvmybge's recipe, which can be found here: http://www.food.com/recipe/fried-mushrooms-105573. It was a trial and error cooking experience. The hazelnut complemented the mushrooms really well. Adding garlic salt enhanced the flavor of both. You can skip the garlic salt, but it tastes so much better with it. If you want a serious taste explosion, try them wrapped in fresh spinach leaves.
- 10 ounces fresh white mushrooms, wiped clean
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups hazelnut meal (Bob's Red Mill)
- garlic salt
- Mix flour, cornstarch, and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add water to make a batter.
- Dip clean mushroom into batter letting excess batter drip off. (Ended up quartering the mushrooms part of the way through, which worked better.).
- Used kebab sticks to dip the whole mushrooms in the batter and then used a fork to dip and strain the quartered mushrooms. (luvmybge uses toothpicks.).
- After dipping into batter roll in hazelnut meal/flour that has been mixed with garlic salt to coat. (Garlic salt is to taste so fry one first to make sure you have the right amount before frying the others.).
- Fry in coconut oil until hazelnut meal/flour hardens. (Don't use coconut oil in a deep fryer as a fire could start.).