Recipe by What's Cooking?
Yes, Virginia, there is such thing as a gluten-free fried mozzarella stick that tastes just like the "real thing"! These are so very tasty. Many thanks to Zaar user "GlutenFreeGirl" for her input and help with this recipe. IF YOU'RE GLUTEN-FREE: Be sure to use a GF flour with a very fine consistency (no almond meal, corn meal, etc). "Gluten-Free Rice Flour Baking Mix" works perfectly. For bread crumbs, I used Ener-G's Fine Bread Crumbs - Other GF brands available include Miss Roben's, Gillian's Foods and El Peto. This is definitely a job for fine, dry breadcrumbs rather than fresh ones. If you can get your hands on gluten-free Italian flavored bread crumbs, then eliminate all of the herbs and spices that the recipe calls for. IF YOU CAN EAT GLUTEN: Just use regular breadcrumbs and regular flour (same measurements). Bon appetit!
Top Review by Sandy P.
These were fabulous! Made them for my 13 year old fussy eater new to gluten free son. He loved them and hasn't really found anything gluten free that he likes. My whole family loved them! My husband said they were better than store bought!
- 1⁄4 cup gluten-free flour, mix
- 2 cups dry gluten-free breadcrumbs (plain or unflavored)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 1 lb whole milk mozzarella cheese, cut into 3/4 inch x 3/4 inch strips or 1 lb mozzarella string cheese, each stick cut in half
- canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup jarred marinara sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 cup of canola or other vegetable oil in a pan. In a small pot, heat up the marinara sauce (or use microwave).
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a bowl or pie tin. In a second pie bowl or pie tin, combine bread crumbs with all of the herbs and spices. Place flour in a third bowl or pie tin.
- Coat each piece of cheese with flour. Dip in egg and roll in bread crumbs.
- Dip in egg and bread crumbs a second time, making sure that the entire piece of cheese is coated in crumbs.
- Carefully place each cheese stick in the hot oil and cook until golden, about a minute on each side. Place on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Serve hot.
- Leftovers can be frozen and reheated in the oven.