This french bread is amazing!! It tastes so similar to the wheat containing french bread. Plus it freezes wonderfully!!! It's crusty on the outside, and soft and tender within. It is fabulous alone, or made as little brushetta', using 'Joanne's Creamy Brushetta' recipe(#108383).You can make it from start to finish in about one hour!!
- 2 cups rice flour (white)
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 3 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons egg substitute (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons fast rise yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3 egg whites, beaten slightly
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- melted butter, for brushing (optional)
- In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, place flours, xanthan gum, salt, and egg replacer (if used).Blend with mixer on low.
- In a small bowl dissolve the sugar in the water, and add yeast.
- Wait until the mixture foams slightly, then blend into the dry ingredients.
- Add the butter, egg whites, and vinegar.Beat on high for 3 minutes.
- To form loaves, spoon dough onto greased and cornmeal-dusted cookie sheets in two long French-loaf shapes or spoon into special French-bread pans.
- Slash diagonally every few inches.If desired, brush with melted butter.
- Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from pan to cool.