Recipe by **Jubes**
Posting by request. This recipe is from Roben Ryberg's "You won't Believe It's Gluten-Free!" cookbook. Makes 6 x 6 inch flour tortillas. Try to press these as thin as possible, otherwise, will be thicker than traditional flour tortillas. Cooking time is 15 minutes for each tortilla. Using two baking sheets that will be aroud 45 minutes in total.A little time consuming but well worth the effort. These can be frozen after being cooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornstarch or 155 g cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate soda)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a baking sheet (or two if you have them).
- Using a medium sized bowl- combine the oil and sugar.
- Add the egg whites and beat until very frothy.
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix well. The dough will seem thin at first, but keep beating. It should remain fairly thin- like a gluey too-thick gravy.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto the prepared baking sheet. Using wet fingertips, press the dough to approx 1/16 inch thickness and a six inch diameter. Press the dough to as thin as possible- almost translucent and as round a shape as possible.
- Bake for approx 15 minutes, until the edges begin to brown and the bottom has golden brown spots.