Recipe by GinnyP
From Connie Sarros WF/GF Dessert Cookbook. Submitted for a request and for use in other recipes that I am posting. Connie is a cooking whiz from my old stomping grounds in Ohio.
- 591.47 ml rice flour (white)
- 236.59 ml potato starch (the lighter starch, not the heavier flour)
- 236.59 ml tapioca flour
- 59.14 ml cornstarch
- 59.14 ml gram flour
- 14.78 ml xanthan gum
Directions See How It's Made
- *MungBean Flour is available at oriental grocery stores and is a wonderful addition to the light-textured dessert recipes.
- *ChickPea Flour is also"light".
- **Xanthangum is a white powder that is sold in pouches at health food stores.
- It helps to bind the pastry and keep it from crumbling.
- **Ifxanthan gum is unavailable to you, you may substitute it with double the amount of unflavored gelatin.
- (1 tsp xanthan gum= 2 tsp unflavored gelatin) Mix all.
- Gluten-free flours contain no preservatives--keep refrigerated or frozen.
- Additional baking tips: You may use buttermilk in place of milk for a lighter texture.
- Bake gluten-free products longer and at a lower temperature than conventional recipes.
- You may want to substitute the liquid called for in a conventional wheat recipe.
- Adding carbonated drinks tend to make baked products lighter.
- Fruit juices add flavor and quality.