Recipe by Laurie150
My own recipe, comes out fluffy and nice and need not be frozen. Healthy and full of nutrition, as opposed to rice flour based breads. Can be vegan* This was the foundation recipe of my cookbook - after all of these (and so many others) fantastic reviews, I was inspired. Please check out my book at http://laurie.ecrater.com
Top Review by bluetaelon
OMG, this bread is awesome! Were huge Udi's fans but I think this is even better then Udi's! The bread failed the 1st 3 times and I learned a few things. The flax can not be left out, its critical to the recipe. Check your yeast, I had a major over flowing issue and realized I grabbed the wrong yeast and was using instant rather then the regular/rapid which means I needed to reduce the yeast by 25%. I also found I didn't care for the Bobs Red Mill All Purpose GF flour blend the author said she often used over at the celiac site and the bean flour just gave it a taste I didn't like so I followed another posters suggestion of "I used 1 Cup Sorghum, 1/4 cup brown rice flour and 1/4 cup white rice flour for the GF flour and the garfava flours." The result was amazing! I just throw the dough on a lined cookie sheet dusted with rice flour, round it out a bit with wet hands, dust the top with flour to give it that old world/artisian look then rise and bake. Comes out beautifully! This morning I pulled out the loaf I made on Friday and threw in the fridge before we went out of town and pull it out today, Tuesday and while it wasn't still sandwich worthy it was still perfect for toast! Just buttered it and everyone scarfed it down and best of all, it tastes like a good artisan wheat bread:) I shared a loaf this weekend with gluten eaters and they all loved it! Now THAT'S saying something!:)
- 295.73 ml gluten-free flour
- 59.14 ml garfava flour
- 118.29 ml potato starch
- 59.14 ml cornstarch
- 59.14 ml flax seed meal
- 12.32 ml xanthan gum
- 9.85 ml active dry yeast
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 236.59 ml water or 236.59 ml milk
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 29.58 ml honey
- 9.85 ml vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flours, flax, starches, gum, yeast, salt.
- In the mixer, combine wet ingredients, then add the dry.
- Scrape the sides, and mix on medium for 4-5 minutes.
- Pour into 9x5 pan, and let rise to top of pan (took about 80 minutes). I always, always let it rise in a turned off oven.
- Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from pan, cool, and slice.
- *use egg replacer of choice to create a vegan loaf, as well as an alternative sweetener for the honey.