Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
I am just beginning this journey but so far am having fun with it. I found this recipe on blog. Here is the link http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/gf-wrap-sandwich-success/. I didn't follow hers exactly because I substituted regular yeast for the instant she used. I also didn't have Olive oil so used canola. I am going to post what I did. It was quick and tasted pretty good. The kids gobbled it up which was the most important part. :)
- 1 cup fine brown rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 -3 tablespoons sweet rice flour (for dusting pan or hands)
- In a heavy mixer, combine water and sugar. Proof yeast then add the vinegar, oil, and eggs. Add the dry ingredient and then beat on medium/medium high speed for about 4 minutes.
- Oil the bottom of a large jelly roll pan and dust with rice flour. I used my Pampered Chef large bar stone. Scrap dough onto oiled/dusted pan. The dough will seem rather "loose". Then spread the dough on the pan as thinly as possible. You can tap wholes across the dough with a fork. I forgot to do this step and mine turned out fine. Place dough in a warm spot, allow to rest/rise for 45-60 minutes, or until double in height.
- Preheat oven to 425F and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the top is slightly browned. The dough will rise quite a bit while baking but don't worry it quickly deflates as it cools. It will come out of the oven with a slight crust that will go away as the bread cools.
- Allow the bread to cool 10-30 minutes before using. Just be careful if you remove it while it is still warm because it can tear easily. Cut into large pieces to use as a folded sandwich bread, or small to use it like regular sliced bread.